4605 Towson Avenue
Fort Smith, AR 72901
Somebody’s going to be real happy we finally got around to reviewing Lucy’s Diner. Lucy’s turns up in our blog search terms more than any other word (other than, you know, “fierce genius,” “hysterically funny” “brainbustingly informed,” “stunningly attractive” and other such terms we assume must refer to people seeking us out).
Maybe it’s because we’ve got a couple of pics from the diner in our header. Maybe it’s because Lucy’s and Fort Smith Eats made their debuts in this city at roughly the same time. Maybe it’s because it’s the newest 24-hour place. Maybe it’s because as unlikely as it sounds, the little diner has become the hot new restaurant that’s all the buzz.
Even the door looks welcoming.
Here at the Fort Smith Eats secret underground headquarters, we’re what you might call evil supergeniuses. Actually, we were going to say, “we’re what you might call pie fans,” but that a) sounded like something electronic used to cool pies (hmmm…where is that Patent Office number?) and b) really, really wanted to be replaced with “evil supergeniuses.” Sometimes you can just tell.
But we’ll leave our plans for world domination to another blog post. Here, our immediate focus is pie. Comparing and contrasting pies seemed like a brilliant idea because it meant, duh, we got a “reason” to eat pies (the sacrifices we make for you, loyal Fort Smith Eats readers!).
1. The pies must be commercially available in the Fort Smith area. Don’t care how good your Aunt Lila’s strawberry-rhubarb is—if we can’t go buy it in Fort Smith, it doesn’t qualify for a Pie-Off.
2. The pies do not have to be from the same restaurant.
3. The pies do not have to be the same kind of pie. Why not? Just ‘cause. We’re the pie-eating evil supergeniuses with the blog, and we like variety.
4. There shall be no more than two pies in a Pie-Off.
5. In the end, there can be only one. No Highlander-style beheadings required.
First up to bat are two slices from what should be the quintessential pie pros: locally owned diners. Let’s meet the contestants: Continue reading