Pho Vietnam2214 Rogers Ave. Fort Smith, AR 72901 479.782.3227
It’s gotta be said right up front. It’s in a gas station. No, not like a Taco Bell in an Exxon or a greasy “burrito” and things they insist are “potato logs” next to the baccy and fish bait at the corner Kum ‘n Go.
A REAL former gas station. The parking lot stays full during meal hours with cars stacked up by the pumps outside, so there’s no getting around that fact. Classy this joint ain’t. But it’s nothing compared to what you find inside.
Whoa, Nelly. Thar be décor in here. And by that we mean “décor” indiscriminately applied. Like, everything:
- Fish tanks (no fish, or water, just the 1980s-era water bubble games without water stuck in there with a bunch of ocean-themed ceramics and Troll dolls)
- Fake Hawaiian leis
- Plastic palm trees
- Large ceramic barnyard “floor animals” as we shall call them
- Plastic bread and vegetables
- A boat steering wheel and maybe an anchor
- Random stickers and decals stuck wherever
- Strands of silk autumn leaves
- Twirly stars
- “Wall fish” with bubbles coming out of their mouths that when you look closely at them you realize are happy face stickers
- What we think is a fake mounted deer head that looks suspiciously like it might break into song. You know, like those mounted fish annoyances from a couple years ago (mercifully, it doesn’t)
Mixed in with this are the extra ingredients stacked here and there on full display and in a corner under a TV stand, a bunch of dinnerware that does not seem to be in use and looks like someone’s grandmama’s. A few booths and tables fill the space that isn’t filled with other junk store detritus. The funny thing is, the parts all make up one crazy jumble of gaudyness that works as a whole in spite of itself. Continue reading